This second edition to a popular first provides a comprehensive, fully updated treatment of advanced conventional power generation and cogeneration plants, as well as alternative energy technologies. Organized into two parts: Conventional Power Generation Technology and Renewable and Emerging Clean Energy Systems, the book covers the fundamentals, analysis, design, and practical aspects of advanced energy systems, thus supplying a strong theoretical background for highly efficient energy conversion.
New and enhanced topics include:
- Large-scale solar thermal electric and photovoltaic (PV) plants
- Advanced supercritical and ultra-supercritical steam power generation technologies
- Advanced coal- and gas-fired power plants (PP) with high conversion efficiency and low environmental impact
- Hybrid/integrated (i.e., fossil fuel + REN) power generation technologies, such as integrated solar combined-cycle (ISCC)
- Clean energy technologies, including “clean coal,” H2 and fuel cell, plus integrated power and cogeneration plants (i.e., conventional PP + fuel cell stacks)
- Emerging trends, including magnetohydrodynamic (MHD)-generator and controlled thermonuclear fusion reactor technologies with low/zero CO2 emissions
- Large capacity offshore and on-land wind farms, as well as other renewable (REN) power generation technologies using hydro, geothermal, ocean, and bio energy systems
Containing over 50 solved examples, plus problem sets, full figures, appendices, references, and property data, this practical guide to modern energy technologies serves energy engineering students and professionals alike in design calculations of energy systems.